While undergoing physical therapy, you may find that your muscles are a little sore after each session as you get used to using them again. If so, use the following homemade liniment using herbal essential oils after therapy to soothe your achy muscles.
What You Will Need
Before you begin, gather the following supplies and ingredients. You can find the oils in most pharmacies and grocery stores.
- Small, microwaveable bowl
- 1 tablespoon of olive or vegetable oil
- 5 drops of lavender oil
- 8 drops of peppermint oil
- 5 drops of eucalyptus oil
- Terry washcloth or hand towel, depending on the size of the sore area
The olive or vegetable oil serves as a carrier oil for binding and diluting the other oils in the liniment. The lavender oil acts as an anti-inflammatory, reducing the pain and swelling around the muscle fibers. The peppermint and eucalyptus oils give the liniment a cooling quality, as well as numbs the area to give you fast relief.
After you have everything you need, follow the directions below to make and use the herbal liniment.
- Pour the olive or vegetable oil into the bowl.
- Add each of the essential oils one at a time, stirring thoroughly after each addition.
- Place the bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds to heat and blend the oils.
- Allow the liniment to cool for 10 minutes before using to prevent burning your skin.
- After the oils have cooled, massage the liniment into the area. Use gentle, circular strokes.
- Once you have applied the liniment, dampen the cloth with warm water. The warm, moist towel will relax the muscles and speed up the absorption of the oils.
- Wring out the cloth until it is slightly damp and place it over the sore area.
- Sit back and relax for 15 minutes to give the liniment time to soak in and work.
- Remove the towel and wipe off any excess oil.
- Let your skin air dry for 10 minutes before getting dressed. This will keep the oils in the liniment from staining your clothing.
- Repeat this treatment four hours later if your muscles are still sore.
Using the above herbal liniment after your therapy sessions should help relieve the soreness you may experience after working out your muscles. However, if your symptoms do not seem to get any better, you may want to discuss other options with your doctor or physical therapist.To learn more about physical therapy, contact a business like Advanced Physical Therapy.